Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

I Quit Photography

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Quit Photography

Post  Brother Jeff on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:40 pm

I hit a bit of a rough patch last week, had things, people, ideas and everything else pulling me in thirty or five hundred different directions, so I quit photography. Yep. You read correct. I quit photography.

Once I realized I wasn't doing photography any more, I got to thinking... yup, dangerous thing for me to do but it was a brief period so not much damage was done. Well, a few thoughts were produced from this brief period and a few harsh questions were asked. One was, what was I going to do with all this gear that I have. I first thought I could sell it and that is when I realized... I couldn't. I couldn't part with my dear children... those sweet sweet children that have traveled with me to this point in my life. Which then forced me into realizing... I was being stupid. Stupid stupid stupid! Did I mention I that I called myself stupid? Well, I did. I couldn't quit photography even if I wanted to! So, I took a deep breath and swore I was going to start doing more of things I liked to shoot.

So, you should start seeing some more interesting photos from me... particularly the study of light and shadows. Very Happy

What? Did I scare you? Sorry... I promise not to do that again.

I also had a very interesting conversation with the wife... but I will share that with you later. Very Happy

Last edited by Brother Jeff on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Brother Jeff

View user profile http://www.jrslaterphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I Quit Photography

Post  old Gray Mare on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Sometimes we do have to "quit" so we can step back and find out what it is we REALLY want to do. That happens in writing, and in life for that matter.

I think my problem with writing is the "need to make a living" and since I now have a job that pays the rent I have been writing the fun, but not necessarily paying, stuff. I still am trying to sell stuff, but its not so urgent that I feel like I have to "produce" and meet deadlines.

I have decided that selling my photographs is not urgent either. I have too much more to learn. It is a sister to my writing and a good excuse to tromp around in the woods but I am not matting and framing stuff trying to sell it in shops, etc anymore. I am just going to wait and see where it leads me and stop trying so hard to do it all.

BTW, Jeff, that is a good essay and might just be worth sending to the editors of some photography magazines. I am sure their readers with relate to your temporary frustration.
old Gray Mare
Admin

View user profile http://www.donnacampbellsmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brother Jeff on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:25 am

You know I didn't think of that. Yeah, I realized as soon as I said I quit, that things were different. I had a train shoot today that was so awesome and I got some great images and more importantly, made some cool connections for more potentially cool shoots. Oh, and made some really cool friends. Very Happy
Brother Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Moliz on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:13 am

DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!! BAD, BAD JEFF!

Whew! Okay, I am over my initial reaction. If you ever scare me like that again, I'll turn you over my knee!

So, now, that we know you will not quit photography, I forgive you. Just keep turning out the quality you've always shown us.

***wiping the sweat from her forehead***
Moliz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brother Jeff on Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:04 pm

You know, I have heard the phrase since I was a kid. lol and I bet you wouldn't hesitate to turn me over your knee either! or even take me out to the wood shed.

Sorry for the scare... I must admit the brief period I was thinking of it has made my resolve stronger. My passion has always been high but the difference, in my opinion, about resolve and passion is that passion ebbs and flows with emotion, resolve is steady and unwaivering. I could be worng but that is how I'm looking at it.

Jeff
Brother Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top